It really isn’t all that rare for homeowners to ignore or even not notice leaks and other plumbing problems until they are knee-deep in water overflowing from their sinks and faucets or if they are trying their best to live with a clogged toilet. For the most part, small plumbing problems can be dealt with in a DIY manner but there are just some problems that you cannot (and should not) deal with on your own especially when it comes to your pipes. You might just make things worse and repairs could cost an arm and a leg at that point.
Below are some signs that you need to pick up that phone and call in the plumbing services to come and bail you out.
Signs to Never Ignore
You might be tempted to ignore these signs and just blame them on something or another but do not—you might just regret it.
- Unusually high water bill – This may just be the easiest sign to spot. If the consumption of water has not changed dramatically but the number on your water bill has increased by leaps and bounds then you know you have a problem. Save yourself some money in the long run by calling on a plumbing expert ASAP.
- Wet spots on walls –If you are absolutely sure that nothing has been split yet you still find wet spots on your walls and floors, keep a close eye on the area. If after a couple of days the wet spots do not dry or just keep getting worse, call on your plumber because you have a hidden leak and you want that fixed before it becomes an even bigger and more expensive problem.
- Musty odors – If you detect musty smells in your home, you could have water hiding in places where it shouldn’t. Musty smells indicate that you have a need for plumbing services, and fast because such occurrences can also affect your health due to the fact that dangerous types of molds can grow in the hidden areas with water and negatively affect your health.
- Faulty water meter – For those homeowners who suspect they have a leak, what you can do to know for sure is to check your meter. Turn off all your appliances that use water and leave it that way for at least an hour. Then, you take a look at the water meter and if it is still running with all the appliances off, there is water going to places where it has no business going.
- Mushy yard – If it hasn’t rained in weeks yet your yard is still soft and mushy, you may have a broken water line. You need to fix this ASAP since leaving it to just leak can bring extensive damage to the foundation of your home.
Professional plumbing services do not come cheap—that much is true. However, you will be saving more money and preventing more problems for yourself in the future if you reach out to them the moment you spot these signs and have them fixed.