When it comes to selecting the perfect sink for your kitchen, you have a wide range of options, from large farm sinks to double basin sinks. Both options present you with a variety of benefits and their fair share of drawbacks.
If you are in the market for a new kitchen sink or are considering a kitchen sink plumbing renovation, it is important to weigh your options. You want to choose the right kitchen sink that best reflects your needs.
Double Basin Sink Pros
- Two smaller sinks that can be used for different things.
- Two people have access to their own sink for doing dishes, prepping food, etc.
- Available in a variety of sizes, styles, and depths to fit different size kitchens.
- Available in different materials, from stainless steel to composite and copper.
- Garbage disposal can be installed on one side, leaving a “normal” drain on the other side.
Double Basin Sink Cons
- Difficulties handling larger objects and items.
- Both sinks normally share the same faucet.
- The sink cost can be more than a single basin sink.
Single Basin Sink Pros
- Can handle larger items, pots, pans, etc.
- Comes in a large range of sizes and styles.
- Available in many different materials like porcelain, copper, and stainless.
- Can cost less than a dual basin sink.
- Can be easier to keep clean.
Single Basin Sink Cons
- Limited to only doing one task in the sink at a time.
- Can take up more counter space to accomplish tasks.
- Makes it difficult to share the sink with another person.
- If a garbage disposal is installed, it is the only sink drain.
Other Kitchen Sink Options
If deciding between a single or double basin sink seems difficult, you might want to consider other available options that could give you more flexibility and the perfect kitchen sink setup. These options also depend upon the overall size and space available in your kitchen.
- Triple Basin Sink: There are triple basin sink designs that feature one large basin and two smaller basins. Some people like the flexibility of having a third basin as part of their primary kitchen sink.
- Stand-Alone Island Sink: Another option is to have a stand-alone sink installed in your kitchen island. Some people opt for a double basin primary kitchen sink and a single basin island sink. This gives them the best of both sink options, so they can get all of the pros and none of the cons.
- Two Side-by-Side Single Basin Sinks: If you have plenty of counter room, then you can enjoy the added benefits you get with a double basin sink. Plus, you will have two huge sinks, so the process of washing and rinsing pots, pans, and other large items becomes a breeze.
Please keep in mind, you may need additional plumbing lines run to accommodate these types of kitchen sink configurations in your home.
For assistance in determining your kitchen plumbing needs for your kitchen sink setup, help with kitchen sink installation, kitchen faucet repair, and other kitchen plumbing services, please feel free to contact MET Plumbing & Air Conditioning at 281-603-9949 today!