How to Prepare for Plumbing Emergencies
It’s frustrating when your plumbing suddenly stops working, but there are steps you can take to prevent costly maintenance. Keep this checklist handy as a reminder of what you can do to save money:
- Keep your garbage disposal clear of large chunks of food and debris, and run it daily to avoid food and water backups.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain. Dispose of it in the trash instead.
- Minimize the use of “flushable” wet wipes. Contrary to popular belief, they are not septic tank-friendly.
- Check the washing machine hose for kinks and replace with durable stainless braided hoses if necessary.
- Avoid using drain cleaners with toxic chemicals. Instead, use a snake, plunger, or wire hanger to remove small or shallow clogs. Follow up with salt and vinegar to cleanse the drainage pipe.
- During colder months, turn on faucets occasionally or let them drip to prevent frozen pipes and bursts.
By following these tips, you can avoid costly repairs and keep your plumbing working smoothly. For plumbing emergencies, call MET Plumbing & Air Conditioning at 281-603-9949.